Friday, April 2, 2010

Culture in Thailand from Hayden


Hello!
We just got back from another trip to Thailand. This time we went to Bangkok. I had a great time. It is a little noisier than Samui Island, but it is good in different ways. Some of the things I really noticed about Bangkok was the people. A lot of them are very poor and barely making it but they are all very nice. If you ask them a question like "where is the bathroom"? Instead of just vaguely pointing in some direction they will actually stop and say "the bathroom is down there. You should see a sign". A lot of them don't speak english so were all lucky that my mom speaks Thai pretty well. I love listening to her bargain to the tuk tuk drivers, who always try to charge more to westerners then Thais. Another thing I noticed about Thailand was the culture. When I went out on my outing to the amusement park with a bunch of other kids my age. The group was totally run by Thais and they were really nice. Some of the rides we went to I didn't really want to do because they were upside-down and really fast and instead of trying to make me do them they just said okay and waited with you. In other places they would try to persuade you do the ride even if you didn't feel comfortable doing it. I don't really like being forced to do things so I was glad that the instructors didn't do that. When I was there I made a few friends. One was Ian and one was another boy named Hayden. They were both 9 and both from the U.S. I would highly recommend going there if you haven't yet. Also, since there is no pork in Saudi Arabia I tried to eat it as much as possible!
Thank you for reading this!
Hayden

1 comment:

  1. Hayden--it sounds like you really appreciated the unique culture of Thailand. It is so fun to spend time in a different country and interact with the people. How wonderful that Mom could share her experiences with her family. Hugs deedee

    ReplyDelete