Friday, September 16, 2011

School Year #3


Greetings,
We have just completed the second week of our school year #3! We have a large new international school now, with much larger classes, a spacious foyer, a lovely lunchroom surrounded by windows to the outside, a pool which may open some day, a separate girls' wing for girls who choose the girls' section of our school, and a large auditorium where we can actually hear the person on stage. It's wonderful. The first two days of school included an activity we did in advisory groups called The Amazing Race where each group competed in a school-wide scavenger hunt game in an attempt to have fun and to learn the layout of the school. Now fewer students are lost getting on their way to class, but I am certain that each student - and each teacher - has been lost at least once. It's nice in a way because it was not just the 6th graders, new to our secondary school community, who were lost occasionally, but everyone!

I am pleased to be teaching grade 7 English and humanities again, though I miss my lovely grade 7 students from last year! I pop in to visit them when possible. There has been noticeable maturity among this year's grade 7 group, and we off to a good start. I also teach a grade 6 English section, which is fun as well. David teaches grade 6, grade 7, and a grade 9 section of math, and he, too, is greatly enjoying his classes so far.

Hayden is settling in to his classes and enjoying more independence as a middle school student in the secondary building. David and I see him little during the day in our big building, but I spot him occasionally in the lunchroom - or in my English class! Logan is loving grade 1. One of his good friends, also from the United States, is again in his class this year, and this has been fun for Logan since there are six sections of grade 1 in our school. Both boys will start soccer again this coming week, Hayden will be continuing with guitar soon, and Logan will begin piano lessons. Hayden is hoping to make the basketball team at the secondary school and has been practicing almost daily, but he's up against all interested boys under 16.

David is wrapping up the intensity of his Ironman training, beginning to shorten some of his workouts and tapering for his upcoming race in Hawaii on 8 October. He will be leaving here in two weeks for his long flight to Kona and the adjustment necessary for a worldwide championship Ironman triathlon. The boys are wondering why Dad takes so many naps!

We are grateful for our steady and fulfilling jobs, the many sports and increasing music options for the boys, the wonderful friendships we are making in this international community, and our continued opportunities for travel. We are also grateful how much time the boys have spent with their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and extended family members over the summer. We have many blessings.

Thanks for reading, Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see that piano lessons are in your future; I am a musician myself. Our school year is off to a great start & we are planning our 2012 trip to Paris & St. Emilion w/ my sister, Susan.

    Have a most successful school year to all!

    Bob & Jan Patetta (Locarno, Switzerland trip of '10)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer,
    Do you work at KAUST? I found your blog online as I was searching for a suitable school for my children to attend and me to work at. Next year my family will be moving to Saudi Arabia. Do you have any advice for us? Thanks so much! I enjoyed reading your blog.

    http://houston2jeddah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete