Saturday, July 11, 2009

Two Weeks to Go ...

Greetings,
With just two weeks to go, I am reminded of the question people ask us most often: "Are you excited?" It's not that we are not excited, I supposed, it's just that that is not really the word that I would choose. After three wonderful weeks of vacation with friends and family, we are now back and feeling a bit overwhelmed by all that remains to be done. I am also looking ahead with anticipation, anxiety, enthusiasm, nervousness, and excitement. It's a lot to take on - moving one's family. It's so very different from the days when I could pack myself up and move to Asia without much thought.

Another question: "What do the kids think?" Our children, ages four and three-quarters and nine, are probably feeling mixed feelings as well. Logan is just happy to be where we are, wherever that might be, and I think he's excited. Hayden is more concerned about leaving his friends. He has a wonderful group of friends right here near our house, and he is sad to leave them. Understandably. I think he's also excited to travel and to see more of the world. He studied Egypt at school last year and is quite interested in traveling there as well.

"What about your house?" We have kept and rented out our house to a couple. We hope they enjoy our home as much as we have - and will when we return.

"What have you learned so far?" A lot of things, but mostly so far I have learned that even though I purge excess 'stuff' frequently, it is so easy to have just TOO much stuff. I am happy to clear out and live more simply, but boy it's hard because stuff just keeps appearing somehow.

More questions again soon. Thanks for reading, Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer's parents and Hayden's and Logan's grandparents in Denver have agonized about having our kids so far away, and for their safety, but we have accepted their judgement and admire their good intentions and wish them all safety, personal growth and a life changing adventure. We are thinking of ways to connect in Europe next year. Dee and Doug DeeDee/Boppop

    ReplyDelete
  2. With everything I do to get ready for my move to DC (blog at Washington to Washington) I am amazed that you all are doing it for a team of 4! I love reading what you write.
    Already missing you. - Kristina

    ReplyDelete