Friday, January 8, 2010

Nordic or alpine?



Greetings,
As one who grew up downhill skiing with my family and taking the Winter Park ski bus on Saturdays, it was with such pride and pleasure that I was able to ski with our boys in Seefeld, Austria. When in Seattle, we went to the Kongsberger ski club Nordic trails nearly every weekend throughout the winter. As members of the club, we enjoyed the cabin, the friends, and the sauna available there. The boys spent many hours being pulled in a ski sled (when they were little), Nordic skiing, sledding, or having snowball fights at the cabin. In Seefeld, however, they were interested in trying more alpine skiing, which they had sampled in Leavenworth and Snoqualmie Pass. Signed up for lessons, they quickly developed their strength and coordination as alpine skiers. The first day, Logan needed help to ski down the beginners' slope, but by the end of our trip, he was able to ski down longer steeper intermediate slopes tha
t his older brother liked. Hayden, on the other hand, had moved on up to even higher elevations and longer slopes at Rosschute. David and I took turns skiing with them when they were not in their lessons, and I remembered skiing at Winter Park with my parents when I was young. It was thrilling, though a ski jump wipe-out reminded me that following Hayden over jumps no longer seemed to be such a good idea!


Each day we picked up our rental equipment and headed to the ski bus or let the boys go to their lessons and then we headed to the Nordic runs. Growing up as an alpine skier, I have had a slow transition to Nordic - it's hard work, I have to ski up hill, and there are no chairlifts. However, on this trip I realized that though I enjoy skiing alpine with the boys, I truly love Nordic more. The boots are more comfortable, I always stay warm, and it's great exercise. Nonetheless, I am so grateful for the opportunity to do both.

We did take the boys Nordic skiing one morning and after Hayden started getting the feeling back, he also admitted that he enjoyed it and that though he had not always wanted to go to the cabin in Seattle, he was really appreciative of the fact that he could do both types of skiing well. Logan struggled with Nordic at first, but after a while he started striding and
swinging his arms and moving fast. Huge smiles! He too was proud of his accomplishments.

When we first arrived in Munich, we had to wait for a late-arriving train to take us to Seefeld. We gradually started pulling out more and more winter clothes - hats, jackets, mittens, boots - until Hayden was pretty sure we would soon be lugging along empty suitcases. While shivering on the train platform, Hayden said, "I am so cold my bones are freezing together. I wish I were back in Jeddah." We did not let him forget that statement.

One particular ski afternoon was frustrating for Logan who was trying so hard to ski fast without falling. He fell yet again and said to me, "I don't know why I fell down because I am already really good." Skiing fast was his main goal. My main goal was for him to ski in control. We worked on combining the two!

Seefeld was festively decorated for the holidays with sparkling lights and trees all over town. We loved being there, eating lovely foods and drinks that are not necessarily available in Saudi Arabia. We rented a two bedroom apartment with a kitchen and a living room, so we could cook many meals 'at home.' Returning each day, it really did feel like home.

Thanks for reading. Jennifer

4 comments:

  1. dear jen and david--several friends have asked if you found vacuum bags while in Seefeld???? I know the answer--of course not!!! Maybe you could ask for am emergency package from many US friends to mail you vacuum bags! thanks for the humorous and ongoing saga of the vacuum. hugs mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing ski vacation you all had!!! Great fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,
    We are in the same boat as far as nordic vs. alpine goes but I must say it's harder to keep our kids motivated to nordic since, as you say, it IS hard work!! Our kids are really missing winter here in Ecuador but when I read about Seattle weather I savor the 70 degree days in January that Cuenca offers....
    Say hi to your 3 boys! Debby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your trip to Austria sounded awesome! We spent 4 days in Kitzbuhl in 2000 before kids and were only able to ski (in the fog) for 1 1/2 days due to avalanche / weather issues. It was truely disapointing! We did enjoy Innsbruck and especially their Volkunst Museum as a plan B to skiing. The mid-hill chalets with spatzel were incredibly memorable!

    I'm glad the boys are enjoying all forms of skiing. Our kids are alpine skiiers these days which has been wonderful. Nice to get out on the slopes.

    I love reading your tales - in SA & elsewhere! Envious...

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete